Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Digression on the Subject of Gender

Today I ran across a friend’s link. She and I have different (read, polar opposite) political views, so I wasn’t too surprised to see that it was an article protesting gay marriage. The catch was, it didn’t attack the idea of gay marriage from the ‘eeew, gays? Groooosssss, amirite?’ angle I’d expected it to. Instead, it was more a protest of androgyny and the ‘erosion’ of gender roles in society. One of its main points was that a marriage without distinct gender roles assigned to the ‘correct’ gender was a bad marriage.

Which got me thinking. You see, my gender identification is far from clearcut. After learning that gender was more of a spectrum than a binary structure (male/female), I spent quite a bit of time wondering what exactly I was, because I knew I’d never entirely identified as female. For a while, I wondered if I were gender fluid, that is, moving between identifying as male or female. But I couldn’t remember ever distinctly identifying as male, and feeling uncomfortable in my body. Rather, all the things that made me wonder if I were gender fluid were cultural, not biological. I was happy being female and feeling female, and being attractive as a female, but I was not happy with the cultural expectations that went with being female.

As a responsible feminist, I recognize that I should not let the culture around me dictate my gender identity, which was the main reason that I realized that I was not truly gender fluid. Instead, I now identify as biologically female but culturally male. That is to say, I am happy with my biological gender, but that I assume a more classically ‘male’ cultural role and am happier adopting male etiquette and mannerisms than females. Etiquette is one of the more distinct demonstrations of this: I stand when someone enters the room, I take my hat off, I hold doors, and am more comfortable bowing than curtsying. When it comes to dancing, I am far more comfortable (if I know the dance) leading than being led. I feel really weird when people treat me as a lady. It’s not that I resent being treated as delicate (in fact, I don’t resent it at all--I realize that people are being highly polite, and I appreciate that), it just seems wrong.

I suppose all of this is a really fancy grown-up way of saying that I’m a tomboy who hasn’t grown out of it yet. I suppose that this can also be read as me trying to jump on the genderqueer bandwagon. Honestly, I’m not sure either, but this is as close as I’m going to get for a while to a conclusion.

I find that article especially disturbing because not only is the author demonstrating a disregard of gay rights and an intolerance toward the LGBT community, but they’re unhappy that some people might have different gender roles than they do. It’s clear that they have never experienced uncertainty about their gender identification, and so want to exclude people who have.



7 comments:

  1. I love that you are publicly thinking about your gender! This makes me so proud to know you, you don't even know.
    Also, who ever thinks gender roles in hetero-couples are clearly defined needs a reality check. Sometimes the woman wears "the pants" (I hate that term but it gets the point across), sometimes they each get a pant leg, sometimes there are no effing pants! (that's my kinda relationship! ;) )
    I should put a block on my internet past a certain time.
    What is the link of the original article you're responding to, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (This is the friend that posted the article :P) Here ya go: http://www.colsoncenter.org/the-center/columns/changepoint/17590-how-gay-marriage-became-plausible

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Last comment deleted do to a error I wanted to fix)
    Its kind of funny that you should mention this today. I just finished reading a book for class all about this subject. I support your idea. The key to it all is respect of others identities, as it is really none of our business what they identify as. I say let them be who they want to be.
    So yeah. I am very supportive. And this was a very good read.
    PS: the book in which some of what i just mentioned is called Sexing the Body:gender politics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, congrats on the blog! XD Second, glad to see the article was a bit thought-provoking. I look forward to more digressions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! Have you ever looked at my blog? http://ebalance-moviesphilosophy.blogspot.com/
    Anyway, I feel I swing back and forth between feeling really "girly" and then male again... it's more of an inside feeling, though. In terms of sexual partners I'm not attracted to other women. In fact that's the thing... I'm not generally attracted to other women as friends, either. You get me, Theo :)
    I fantasize about being a guy. I always wanted to be someone like Robinhood, and I still fantasize about that. All my stories somehow end up being about young men. It's like somehow I feel psychologically male, but still physically female. I'm taking a class right now about this, actually. Maybe it will help me discover more about myself, at least, I hope it will.
    We need to talk again. You never did get to read my Zemondraya stuff... and I'm already working on the 4th one now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea of people having a cultural gender isn't something I had heard or thought about before. I do like it, though.

    As for me personally... well, I'm very decidedly male. Through and through. However... I find myself drawn to things that are traditionally considered feminine. I enjoy having my hair long, I have a woeful lack of skirts to wear, etc.

    I don't know where this leaves me, but I do know that any attempts to further explore this have been, well, less than encouraged by most people. Also, taking on more feminine cultural roles involves, well, dumping a lot of privilege.

    tl;dr: I'm in a similar, if oppositely-faced boat, and I need to explore it more.

    ReplyDelete